Sparrendaal country estate - Driebergen-Rijssenburg
The current Sparrendaal dates from 1754. In the 17th century, there was a homestead here that probably collapsed around 1672 during the French occupation. At that time, the large estate reached as far as the Langbroekerwetering.
Initially, the house was called Sper en Dal, which changed to Sparrendaal in the course of the 18th century. Sperren means 'to shut off something', but sperren are also long, thin poles. Long before Sparrendaal was built, there was a path here that was then used by shepherds to reach the heath with their flocks. That path disappeared after the house was built. The house, with its important interior, served as the town hall for some years and in 2000 the Hendrick de Keyser Association took over the care of this country estate for one euro.