Mill De Weert - Meppel
Mill De Weert, also called Eekmolen or De Reest, is located on the north side of the small river De Reest, and according to the plaque was built in 1807. This mill was the most important eek or runner mill for the tanning industries in Meppel. The eekmolen was an octagonal stage mill on a stone base. Initially, the mill was equipped as a run and husk mill, but a couple of grinding stones were added later.
There were three wooden sheds around the mill, which were originally used to store oak bark. The demand for ground oak bark declined sharply and the founding of the Cooperative Agricultural Bank took a lot of work away from the mill. The Eekmolen was shut down in 1937. Although the mill was still in good condition at the time, it was largely demolished that year due to high maintenance and insurance costs. The wooden sheds were demolished and all that remained was the stone substructure. This situation remained until 1997.
On 13 May 2000, after restoration, the mill was officially put into operation. At present, the mill is only in operation as a corn mill. The two old jacks are still in and outside the mill.