Mill de Fortuin - Hattem
The windmill is beautifully situated on the ramparts of the old city centre. As early as the 16th century, a standerd mill stood on this spot, which was blown over in 1808. The present windmill was built in 1816, probably as a low wooden post mill with continuous posts that stood on low pillars. Due to the danger of fire, the body was not allowed to be covered with reeds, but with horizontal wooden planks. In 1852, Klaas Blom bought the now somewhat dilapidated mill and extended the stone substructure in such a way that it became possible to drive in with a horse and cart. Hence the memorial stone with the date 1852 above the entrance door.
In 1924, a 20 hp gas engine was installed, which certainly worked until 1939. The engine was located on the ground floor where there is now a large electric motor. The installation of the engine may have been the reason for bricking up the rear doors of the passage. In 1967, the mill became the property of the municipality of Hattem, thus ensuring its preservation. In 1971, 1985 and 1991, the mill underwent major restorations.
The mill is open and in operation every Saturday afternoon. The ground flour is used as cattle feed and for baking demonstrations in the Hattem Bakery Museum.
Mill de Fortuin
8051 EV Hattem
E: firstname.lastname@example.org W: http://www.molendefortuin.nl
|Saturday||13:30 - 16:30|