Mill d'Arke - Oostkapelle
Before the Reformation, the Abbey of Middelburg owned a mill in Oostkapelle, which burnt down in 1572. In 1577, the Prince of Orange granted a permit for the construction of a new mill. In 1637 the craftsmanship of Oostkapelle was purchased by Middelburg. Due to extensions along the road to Grijpskerke, the windage was limited to such an extent that this mill was demolished. The current mill with a 3.60 meter high rack with slanting rack braces was built on account of P. Koole. The gable stone to the right of the west door reminds us of this: A P KOOLE 18 3/26 58. The yellow brick mill with three attics has never been inhabited. The mill underwent a major restoration in 2006.
4356 EC Oostkapelle
|Saturday||10:00 - 17:00|
To be visited on other days when the blades are turning or by appointment.