Amsterdam's outdoor culture took off in the 17th century. This starts with the construction of numerous courtyards, for example in the Beemster, which was pumping stationed dry in 1612, but also along the banks of the Watergraafsmeer, which was pumping stationed dry in 1629. In this area, close to the town houses on the ring of canals, wealthy Amsterdam merchants build many court cities and country estates. Of these, only Frankendael has survived. Nicolaes van Liebergen is one of the first inhabitants of this homestead. The next owner, Isaac Balde, acquired the farmstead in 1695 and named it Frankendael. His father Jacob Balde, born in England, fled from Flanders, where he lived, to Franckenthall, Germany, because of his Lutheran faith. When Isaac Balde acquires the homestead in 1695, he honours the city where his parents found a safe haven, with this name. The municipality of Amsterdam acquires Frankendael in 1882. Nowadays there is a restaurant and the estate can be used for meetings and parties.