Heusden Castle - Heusden
Presumably, the castle was built in the 12th century. In the years that followed, Heusden developed from a settlement to a fortified town. The castle was situated on a water stream, which was dammed up in 1250.
For centuries the castle was preserved, until on 24 July 1680 the tower De Dikke Brabander was struck by lightning. The tower contained 60,000 pounds of gunpowder, which exploded. The castle and a large number of surrounding houses were destroyed in one blow. One tower that had remained somewhat intact was restored, but in 1823 this part was also demolished.
In 1948 and 1949, archaeologists found the main castle and the outer bailey. Although the foundations were initially covered up after the excavations and there was a deer park at this location for a long time, the castle was partially reconstructed in 1987, albeit in a much smaller format.
Photo: Regionaal Bureau voor Toerisme De Langstraat - via Rbtdelangstraat.nl
Hertogin Johanna van Brabantstraat 1
5256 EM Heusden