Fortified town of Woerden - Woerden
Already in 41 A.D. the castellum Laurium was built at a natural height. This Roman army place on the northern border of the Roman Empire was the beginning of what is now Woerden. In 1160 the bishop of Utrecht had a fortification built at the settlement Worden (as Woerden was then still called) to keep the count of Holland at bay. Slowly the city was strengthened by canals and ramparts. In 1275 Floris V built a castle and in 1372 Woerden was granted city rights. With the construction of the Oude Hollandse Waterlinie (Old Dutch Waterline), Woerden rightly became a fortified town.