Estate Eyckenstein - Maartensdijk
The exact age of Eyckenstein is unknown. Shortly after 1600 there is a manor house on the spot where Adriaan Eyck built a new front facade and an annex in 1780. From the very beginning, there have always been prominent families living on Eyckenstein, such as a mint master and mayors. It is known that Maurits Eyck was the first to live there permanently. This is unusual in his day, because country houses are difficult to heat in winter. From 1777 to 1876, three generations of Eyck lived there, who made Eyckenstein a stately country estate. In 1876 Eyckenstein is bought by Elisabeth Both Hendriksen, widow of Christiaan van Boetzelaer van Dubbeldam. Since then, several generations of Van Boetzelaer have lived there. Around 1880, Willem Carel van Boetzelaer had the park laid out in an English landscape style by the garden architect Leonard Springer. Eyckenstein probably owes its name to the more than 300-year-old oaks that accompany it. The estate has 395 hectares, of which 185 hectares directly behind the house.