Country estate Velserbeek - Velsen-Zuid
Velserbeek originates from a presumably 16th-century homestead. The first inhabitant of Amsterdam to arrive here was Jeremiah van Collen. After Hendrik Tersmitten bought it in 1699, his son Hendrik merged it with the country estate ‘s-Gravenlust in 1742 and remained so until 1802. In this area the construction of the North Sea Canal is very difficult outside, but the construction of railway connections also has consequences. The Haarlem-Uitgeest line, for example, cut the property in half in 1867. In 1924, the municipality of Velsen became the owner and gave it a public use, although part of the site was used for housing. Restoration took place in 1995, when stucco ceilings, beams and plank floors were restored. In the former orangery there is now a teahouse.