Wheatmill de Zwaluw - Hasselt
At the head of the Stenendijk, just outside the old town fortress, a mill was built in 1784 which was destroyed by fire on 23 April 1857. After the fire, the present flour mill, a high octagonal upper stage on a brick base, was built. The rods are 22.50 metres long and are fitted with the Old Dutch sails system. The mill is equipped with a pair of 16der artificial stones.
The mill was used in 1955 by the N.V. IJsselmij. as a pilot project for generating electricity. The mill was stripped of its milling mechanism and equipped with a generator and dynamos. The experiment ended in disappointment as the mill proved not to be strong enough. In 1960 this came to an abrupt end and the mill was stripped of its rods.
In 1964 a major restoration followed, the mill was given a new scaffold and rods, and a grinding mechanism was installed again. Remnants of the electricity period are the steel bonkelaar with wooden combs and some wooden cabinets with measuring and control instruments.
In 1996, the last private owner handed the mill over to the Foundation for the Preservation of the Corn Mill "De Zwaluw" and restoration work began in the same year.
In 2015, it became clear that the rods, which were affected by corrosion, needed to be replaced. Partly thanks to winning the BankGiroLoterij Molenprijs in 2016, the rods could be replaced with new ones during the restoration in 2017. The tail, long spur and wind spigot were also replaced and the scaffolding repaired.
The mill is one of the official wedding locations in the municipality of Zwartewaterland and the warehouse is frequently used for social and cultural events.
Wheatmill de Zwaluw
8061 HP Hasselt
|13:00 - 16:00
Other times by appointment with possibility for groups, including catering.