Watermill Molecaten - Hattem
Near the pond surrounding the Molecaten house was a paper mill and a second paper mill is the still existing mill near the present Molecaten Inn. The third mill, a corn mill, stood further along near the Eijerdijk. The mill house is still there. The water mill uses the water from local springs which supply the reservoir. This mill was one of the first paper mills in the Veluwe. Around 1800, a smaller paper mill was built next to this mill. According to a description from 1804, the large mill was a so-called four-bucket mill with 20 hammers. The small mill was a one-bucket mill with 6 hammers. These hammers were driven by water power to form the ragged shreds with water into a paper pulp.
In 1857, the large mill burned down. Due to the competition from the Veluwe paper mills, the water mill was rebuilt as a corn mill. The mill was in operation until 1914. Between 1918 and 1940, the mill generated electricity for the castle. In 1967, the mill was restored after a period of decay.
The interior of the mill can be visited on Wednesdays.
8051 PN Hattem
E: email@example.com W: https://www.molendatabase.nl/nederland/molen.php?nummer=249
|13:30 - 16:30
It is also open by appointment.