The 'Reus' Mill - Gennep
The first paper mill in the later Netherlands was in Gennep, a windmill that burned down in 1845. In 1846 a new mill with a house was built on the current spot. It burned down in 1882. When it was rebuilt and extended, the mill was given significant measures, and for that reason, it was called De Reus (The Giant). In the thirties, the mill was somewhat abandoned. In the Second World War, windmills came back into the public eye. The Giant underwent a restoration in 1943. In 1951 the mill was offered for sale to be demolished. In those years, however, many mills were shut down and offered for sale. In 1956, on the initiative of Association De Hollandsche Molen, the mill underwent a major renovation. In 1971 the mill was restored. In 1987 De Reus underwent a thorough restoration.