The Mallum Mill - Eibergen
The oldest source mentioning this subsoil mill on the Berkel goes back to 1424. Residents of nearby Eibergen were obliged to have their grain ground in this mill. The mill used to have two buildings. On the right was the corn mill, which burned down in 1746 but was rebuilt in 1748. The left part was an oil mill. This part burned down in 1755, but was also rebuilt.
In 1917, the oil mill on the left bank was demolished. The corn mill remained in operation until 1943 and became the property of the De Mallumse Molen foundation in 1948. This foundation started restoration work that same year. In 1978, the mill was restored again.
De Mallumse Molen and the watermills in Borculo are the last watermills still operating on the Berkel. During the opening hours, a demonstration is given of how to hull the barley into groats. By hulling the grain, the tough membrane is scraped off. To get a nice white product, the four-minute husking process has to be repeated four times.
The Mallum Mill
Mallumse Molenweg 114
7152 AV Eibergen
|14:00 - 17:00
Groups are also welcome at other times by appointment.