The Craft and Bailiff House (Voorstraat) - Voorschoten
When the silver factory moved from Utrecht in 1858, a number of apprentices came with it. They were boarded by families in the village.
To keep the youngsters out of inns during their free time, director Van Kempen rented a room in the Bailiff House. Coffee, tobacco and beer were available there for purchase. Newspapers and useful reading material were also provided, drawing lessons could be followed and on Sundays there was religious instruction. As the young people married, the room became less necessary and was closed.