Reformed Dome Church | World Heritage Colonies of Benevolence - Veenhuizen
The Dome Church in Veenhuizen dates from 1825 and was built for the residents of the Colony of Benevolence in the village. It is a so-called Waterstaatskerk, as the churches were called that were built between 1824 and 1875 under the supervision (and sometimes design) of the Department of Waterways and Public Works. The national government bore most of the financial burden.
The building is shaped like an octagon, making it a striking building. The pulpit is still the same as the one from 1825. In 1856, the church got its organ, made by J.A. Hillebrand of Leeuwarden. The organ first hung in the church in Akkrum, Friesland, but was then transferred to the Dome Church. It was not until 1946 that the church got its bell.
To this day, the church is still used as a church for Veenhuizen residents. Inmates from the local prison also regularly visit the church.
Photo: ©Omke Oudeman - via UNESCO World Heritage Colonies of Benevolence