Penninga's Mill - Joure
The mill was originally built in 1692 as a paper mill in Westzaan and was called "The Young Dolphine", alias "The Copper Mountain". In 1819 it was converted into a peel mill. In 1900 the mill was taken by ship to Joure by order of miller Auke Penninga. Here it was rebuilt as the successor to the eight-sided ground sailor "De Westenberg", which was burned on 13 April 1900. The new name was: "De Jonge Wester". In popular speech it became Penninga's mill. The purchase of the halted De Jonge Dolphijn enabled him to find a replacement in an inexpensive way. After Auke Penninga's death, his son-in-law Boudewijn van der Werf took over the mill on 15 July 1920. Until 1936 he kept the mill in operation. Once Friesland's largest sailbearer falls into disrepair. In 1970 the Penninga's Mill Foundation (founded in 1966) becomes the owner of the mill. Shortly after the takeover the restoration can start. After this major restoration, the mill was reopened on 10 May 1972. On July 7, 2000, the mill was put in Zaanse feesttooi: Penninga's Mill existed 100 years in Joure!