Mill the Wieker Meule - De Wijk
The Wieker Meule was built in De Wijk in 1829, but is actually much older. Originally, the mill came from the Staphorster Leijen, where it was probably built in 1764. In 1829, Jacob Schiphorst Haalweide bought the originally belvedere mill and had it rebuilt in De Wijk as a tower mill. The mill had two pairs of stones in the grinding loft, which were driven by the wind. After the construction of a warehouse adjacent to the mill, two pairs of grinding stones were placed on the ground floor as well. These were driven by a diesel, and later an electric motor. In 1962, the mill was shut down. During the major restoration of 1978, the mill was given a new cap, a new scaffold and new sails, among other things.
The Wieker Meule Foundation has owned the mill since 1996. In 2012, the mill underwent major maintenance and new thatch was applied to the attached barn around the mill. The sails turn every Saturday, when the mill can also be visited.