Mill The Star - Balkbrug
The mill was built in 1848 on the Molenweg by Jan ten Kate, because the then Katingermolen, a ground-sailer that stood on the Kaat, had too little capacity to meet the needs. The new mill was a tower mill and was named De Starmolen. On 25 March 1882, this mill was struck by lightning and burned to the ground. In the same year the mill was rebuilt, using other mill parts, probably from Deventer.
Miller Roelof Wassens operated the mill until 1955. As a sponsor, Roelof had the windmill running regularly until 1971 after it had been repaired, partly thanks to De Hollandsche Molen. In the notorious storm of 13 November 1972, the windmill was almost destroyed, but quick intervention of the volunteer fire brigade on site prevented the windmill from burning.
In the years 1974 - 1975 the mill was moved 550 metres to the east, just outside the village of Balkbrug. In this place, the mill has a better wind capture. The mill was restored in its entire grinding capacity and equipped with breeding sails, so that it can turn and grind grain again. A shed that used to stand next to the mill in the old place was moved back to the mill in 2002.
Throughout the year, including the winter period, flour is sold on Saturday mornings from 9.30 am to 1 pm. All kinds of flour are for sale, traditionally milled by the millers at the Mill De Hoop in Hellendoorn. During the winter months, guided tours are also possible, but only by appointment.
Of course, everyone is welcome to visit the mill when it is running.