Mill Maallust - Amerongen
Sources from 1541 already mention a corn mill between Leersum and the hole of the Amerongse Berg. In 1623, miller Jacob Willem Prattenbergh ground the mill, built by the lord of Amerongen Castle, Godard Lord of Reede. In 1830, the current stone mill was built as a bell mill to replace the old mill. The mill then received its current name.
The mill remained part of Amerongen Castle property until 1853. In 1890, the mill came into the possession of Hendrik Capel, who operated a steam flour factory in a warehouse next to the mill and traded in grains and cattle feed. After him, the mill changed hands several times. An auction poster from 1925 shows that Maallust already had electric motors in that year. But after that it went downhill fast. In 1938, the mill was robbed of its bell, sails and cap on behalf of widow J. van Ree. From around 1950, the mill was hemmed in by two large silos, which were later demolished.
Grain is still ground into flour in the mill. Traditional products are available in the mill shop.
3958 BW Amerongen
|10:00 - 16:00
The mill can also run and be open to the public on other days, you can recognize this by the blue pennant.