Mill de Bouwing - Geldermalsen
Archive research has shown that there are strong indications that there must have been a corn mill in Geldermalsen since the 14th century. In 1311, the Duke of Gelre exercised wind rights here. Other documents show that Joost van Aken has been the owner of a corn mill, probably a standerd mill, with house, backyard and orchard, since 1828. Apparently, after a while, the purchased mill was no longer in good condition. In 1848, he had the present mill built. He died in 1864 and his heirs continued the milling business until 1871. In that year, the mill was taken over by the farmer Jan Dirk van Wijk. After him, the mill was owned by the Zijderveld brothers since 1904 and by E. van Toor-Kieviet since 1926. In 1928 the mill came into the possession of the municipality of Geldermalsen. The mill was restored in 1977 and in 1993. When the restoration was completed in September 1977, the mill received its current name. The miller currently grinds flour for cattle feed on a voluntary basis.