Heerlijkheid Marienwaerdt - Beesd
In 1129, a Norbertine abbey was founded here on the island: Mariënwaerdt. In 1734 Albrecht Otto Roeleman Frederik van Bijlandt (1688-1768) bought the estate. Van Bijlandt is an ancestor of the current owner, the Van Verschuer family (the ninth generation now manages the estate). On the vaults of the former abbey, between 1734 and approx. 1790 the house in classicist style is built, and on the north-east side of the house a park wood with winding avenues is laid out. In addition, utility areas such as vegetable gardens and orchards are prominent. Agriculture was and is always an important source of income, but now the income also comes from all kinds of other activities such as the estate fair and estate shop. There are also two restaurants on the estate.
The estate is large, which means that it is great for walking or cycling. Enjoy the beautiful views, monumental buildings and nature.