Director's Hotel Excelsior | Heritage Colonies of Benevolence - Veenhuizen
At the time of the Colonies of Benevolence, this director's hotel was commissioned by the Ministry of Justice. A caretaker's house was attached. It dates from 1901. The hotel, which was also called The Villa, allowed visiting officials to stay, but was also used as an office. The Director's Hotel is of enormous cultural-historical value.
The interior comprises valuable components and craftsmanship, such as wrought-iron ornamental anchors, sash windows with persiennes (window blinds with wooden slats) and a pentagonal conservatory with natural stone and stained-glass windows. The stairwell has ornate carvings and there are two fireplaces with profiled mouldings on natural stone.
The beautiful interior and architecture also makes the hotel of urban planning importance for Veenhuizen.
Photo: ©Miranda Drenth - via UNESCO World Heritage Colonies of Benevolence