De Brakken - Hierden
On 2 July 1940, the Germans requisitioned their first farmfields in Hierden for the development of a shooting range to train soldiers in using artillery. The soldiers were accommodated in purpose-built barracks at the beginning of the paved road, which have been converted for residential housing.
Across these barracks were six stone bridges, two of which are still there. The bridges were used to park the army vehicles. The tall trees just behind would prevent the vehicles from being spotted by aircraft.