De Blauwe Camer Castle - Oosterhout
De Blauwe Camer Castle was built around 1400. Back then, it was a simple two-storey building with a basement. After it had changed hands several times, the now extended house was sold to the Norbertines in 1645 and furnished as a monastery by them. To this day, it is still used as a convent under the name of Sint-Catharinadal. The nuns also maintain the vineyard and the vegetable and herb garden.
The castle owes its name 'Blauwe Camer' (Old Dutch for Blue Room) to a special room in the oldest part of the castle. From 1479 until 1915, this was the location of a room with gold-leather wallpaper, depicting shells and plants on a blue background. The woodwork was also blue.
The monastery regularly opens its doors, check the website.