Chapel of the Holy Oak - Oirschot
The most famous story behind Chapel the Holy Oak? At the beginning of the 15th century a few shepherds would have found a statue of the Virgin Mary on the banks of the Beerze. They placed this statue in an oak tree. Residents of Middelbeers took this statue with them and placed it in their own church. The next morning the statue returned on its own to the oak, where the shepherds had placed it. From then on the inhabitants of Oirschot all came to the oak tree to honour the statue. The story goes that people were miraculously cured of diseases.
At the place where people came to worship the statue, an annual pilgrimage took place. Some time later a wooden chapel was placed. Unfortunately this was destroyed during the Eighty Years' War. The statue was safe and a brick chapel was later built, followed by a slightly larger building. The current chapel was built in 1854. What can you expect in the chapel? Including a beautiful baroque altar. Definitely worth a visit!