Catharina Chapel Lemiers - Lemiers
In the idyllic Old Lemiers, situated on the former Roman road from Aachen to Maastricht, lies the Catharina Chapel. Originally, this was a Romanesque hall church from the 12th century, dedicated to St. Catherine of Alexandria. Since 1896, the chapel has been officially withdrawn from church service.
During the restoration in 1928, the last inventory was transferred to the new church, after which the church served as a junk yard and slowly began to decay. During the Second World War, the men of Oud-Lemiers hid in the tower to escape Arbeitseinsatz. After the war, it served as a museum for Roman excavations, a clubroom and a practice room for the mandolin club. Around 1977, the chapel was restored again. The colourful paintings by Hans Truijen make a visit certainly worthwhile!
Catharina Chapel Lemiers
6295 AT Lemiers
E: email@example.com W: http://www.catharinakapel-lemiers.nl/
The interior of the church can only be visited by registering for a guided tour. For information about this, see the website.