Bronkhorster Mill - Steenderen
Among the lordly rights of the owners of the seigniory of Bronkhorst was the right to use the wind until 1795. The inhabitants of Bronkhorst were obliged to have their grain ground here. Until 1844, the present mill grounds contained a standerd mill, which burned down in the night of 17 to 18 May of that year. Christiaan Breukink and his wife Wendelina Hermina Kets had the present windmill built as a successor to the burned down mill. After Breukink's death, his widow was the owner until 1860. The mill was in use as a grinding machine until shortly after the Second World War. When the sails were shut down, the mill fell prey to decay.
In 1958, a committee collected money to have part of the mill restored, which was realised in 1960. The mill was the first in the Netherlands to have a counter for registering the rotations of the sails. This meant that the government contributed to the running of the mill, which remained in private hands. This construction gave rise to a conflict, as a result of which the mill came to a standstill. Ir. W. ten Duis then bought the mill to end the impasse and placed it in a foundation, which managed to tap into all kinds of sources of money, making it possible for the mill to be in operation again.
7221 LB Steenderen
|10:00 - 16:00
Open every Saturday from March to September from 10 am to 4 pm. Open every Saturday from October to February from 10.00-15.30.