Pumping station De Lynden is one of the three steam pumping stations, alongside Cruquius and Leeghwater, that drained the Haarlemmermeer in the 19th century. The pumping out began in 1849, shortly after the construction of the Ringdijk. In three years time the three pumping stations removed 800 million m3 of water from the lake. The pumping station first operated on steam, later on diesel and then on electricity. In the 1980s it was automated and in 2005 it was replaced by a new pumping station next to it.
All three pumping stations are named after people who were involved in the drainage of the Haarlemmermeer in the past. De Lynden was named after Baron van Lynden van Hemmen who in 1821 wrote a treatise on the drainage of the Haarlemmermeer. The name of the village Lijnden is in fact derived from the pumping station itself.
14. Pumping station De Lynden
Akerdijk 10
1175 LE
Lijnden
Contact details