Woerden Castle - Woerden
Woerden Castle was commissioned as a fortress by Duke Jan van Beieren, lord of Woerden, around 1410. The explanation consists of a square with four wings around a courtyard. Of the round corner towers, three were greatly reduced and the fourth was used as a prison. The castle used to be surrounded by water and possessed a drawbridge. Over time, the castle had many uses. After the Eighty Years' War, for instance, it was a defensive stronghold serving the bailiff of the land of Woerden and dike reeve of the Grootwaterschap van Woerden. In the year 1787, the Committee of Defence met here. This military civil committee, consisting of patriotic regents, tried to defend the province of Holland against princely attacks. Afterwards, the castle was, among other things, a state prison, hospital and 'Central Warehouse of Clothing and Equipment' of the Ministry of War.
Over the centuries, much has been restored and altered to the building, with the front facade perhaps best preserved. In the 1970s, the Woerden Castle Foundation was established, whose aim is to preserve, restore and operate the castle.
For more than 600 years, Woerden Castle has been a centrally located home for its guests. Kings, dukes, noblewomen and warlords have deliberated, feasted, dined and slept here. People still deliberate in the castle. Now in the form of training courses, conferences, workshops, dealer days, parties, events or over a good lunch or dinner. Today's damsels use the High Tea at Woerden Castle.
3441 BZ Woerden
|12:00 - 17:00
|12:00 - 17:00
These are the opening hours of the Castle Café. The castle itself is otherwise only used for parties and celebrations. Check the website for the possibilities.