Wind Mill d’ Olde Zwarver - Kampen
Eight mills were active in Kampen in the 19th century. Corn mill d’Olde Zwarver is the only windmill left. The current mill was built in 1842 as the successor to the 11-year-old Voorste Molen, which was lost in a fire. Gerrit Helmus van der Vegte came to the mill in January 1923. However, the rise of the flour factories slowly but surely destroyed Van der Vegte. On windless days, Van der Vegte continues until midnight to be able to deliver enough flour. In 1949 he realized he could no longer compete with the competition. The mill then comes into the possession of Leympf milk factory in Leeuwarden, which wanted to expand the factory and demolish the mill. This is against the wishes of the people of Kampen who want to keep their mill at all costs. The management of the dairy factory, shocked by the action, proposed to relocate the mill. On April 7, 1952 the day of the big move came. It was a slow but successful move using a low-loader with 48 wheels. Municipal architect Versteeg from IJsselmuiden called the mill d’Olde Zwarver, which then became the official name.
Wind Mill d’ Olde Zwarver
8261 LM Kampen
|09:00 - 12:00
Groups are also welcome at other times by appointment.