Along the Molenbeek near Vierlingsbeek stands a working water wheel from the former Beekse Mill. The mill was already mentioned in documents from 1446, but is believed to be even older. Over time, the watermill was rebuilt several times. From 1672 onwards, the Beekse Mill was one of the largest watermills in the south of the Netherlands.
During the Battle of Overloon in October 1944, the mill was blown up by retreating German troops. What remained was the large water wheel, with a diameter of 5.10 metres, and the sluice.
In 1970, the wheel was restored and placed in a small monument, which also houses a kollergang from an animal feed factory.
There are several information boards and benches on site.
Vierlingsbeek Watermill
Grotestraat 121
5821 AD
Vierlingsbeek
Contact details
| Opening hours | |
|---|---|
| Open 24 hours | |