The White Mill - Nijmegen
This mill was built in 1760 to replace a standerd mill that was burnt that year and is believed to have stood on the city rampart. In 1916, to improve wind catch, the stone hull was raised higher. In 1974, the mill came into the possession of the municipality of Nijmegen. During the restoration of 1978, the mill was changed into a scaffold mill and sails were applied to the sails again. On 6 November 1981, a fierce fire ravaged the mill. The driving gear and several attics were then completely burnt. In 2009, the mill underwent a major restoration.
The White Mill is still in daily operation. It grinds flour for several local bakeries and restaurants. Take a look and see the process from grain to flour. Admission is free.