Philips van Kleefbolwerck - Ravenstein
An extraordinary story. A professor who wanted to build a well in his own garden in 1987 stumbled upon a fortification from 1621. The authorities demand he leave it a soil archive. Reluctantly, he stops digging. Until the professor picks up the shovel again in 2011 and continues digging. Beneath the old fortification, a much older Italian-style stone stronghold is revealed. It turns out to be a casemate from 1509. A gun emplacement for a cannon from the time Philips van Kleef was Lord of Ravenstein.
It turned out to be a historical find. From 2011 to 2016, the stronghold was made recognisable. The artillery cellar can be clearly seen from the road. The casemate is covered with walkable glass.