Mill de Volharding - Best
The mill was built in 1850, but burned down completely in 1884 as a result of lightning. It was restored using parts of a presumably South Holland octagonal polder mill. The restored mill was then given its current name, De Volharding. In 1904, the miller at the time, like most of his colleagues at the time, decided to install a steam engine in or near the mill. He did this to no longer be dependent on the wind. Later, other types of engines followed, such as a petroleum engine and a diesel engine, to provide the motive power for the millstones.
In 1936 the windmill fell into disuse and in 1938 it was stripped of its wings and cap for the restoration of another mill. In 1947, the remaining stone hull went through the eye of the needle when a demolition permit was applied for, but fortunately demolition did not take place. In 1998, the municipality of Best bought the hull from the last private owner to prevent it from disappearing altogether. A new scaffold then brought the promise of full restoration, but after that came the necessary years of perseverance for the mill lovers. It was not until 2008 that further restoration to a fully gristmill began. By the end of 2011, the mill was grinding again. It was put back into operation on 17 December 2011.
Mill de Volharding
5683 BG Best
|12:00 - 16:00
|10:00 - 16:00
Open on Wednesday only for the sale of flour products.