Mill De Vlijt - Diever
At the edge of Oldendiever, on the Meulakkers, the eight-sided corn mill De Vlijt has stood and worked since 1882. This mill originally stood in Friesland and was moved to Oldendiever in 1882. There it was rebuilt by mill builder Ritzen from Diever. A lot of woodwork from a burnt mill was used in the rebuilding. This can be seen in a number of beams with traces of fire, mainly in the joists of the stone hull.
One of the octagonal pillars bears the date 1823, the year of the original Frisian mill. The wooden upper axle was replaced in 1929 by a cast-iron axle from 1852, from the mill in Uffelte. The sails were 'fenced in' in the old Dutch style with wind and pitch boards.
The present millers grind various kinds of flour every Saturday, which they offer for sale. You are welcome to come and see the inside of the mill (on Saturdays or by appointment).
Mill De Vlijt
7981 LT Diever
|09:00 - 16:00
Opening hours are in June, July and August. Outside these times the opening hours are from 09.00-12.00 hrs.