This watermill had a paper mill as its predecessor, which was founded by Marten Orges in 1606. Later a second paper mill was built on the other side of the stream. The mills were known as the Horseman's mills. In 1839 the mills were individually owned by Derk Albert Boks and Mrs Hackvort in Loenen. In 1843 Boks converted his mill into a corn mill with two wheels. The Boks family remained the owner of the Ruitersmolen for 120 years. Later P.H. Candle Sypenstijn became owner. The paper mill burned down on 15 October 1864 and was no longer rebuilt. During the Second World War the corn mill was still in operation with an upper turning wheel and a grinding alley. In 1954 the mill came to a standstill and fell into disrepair. But in 1977 the foundations Het Hoogland and Hullenoord bought the mill from the municipality of Apeldoorn and gave the impetus to restore the mill. The restoration was completed in 1985.
In the attic there is an exhibition about the old paper mill, complete with demonstrations of paper shovels. During the daily guided tours, visitors are given an explanation of the old craft of making paper. Next to the mill is a botanical garden.