House of the Wester - Bentveld
In the nineteenth century, this cottage was the service house of the water pump operator of the Amsterdam Water Supply Dunes. Until it was no longer needed in 1924, when the pumps were electrically driven. The cottage is the only remaining building in this area, after the Germans destroyed most of the farms and houses during the war.
The Wester House is owned by Waternet and refurbished by the Bird Working Group and a bat expert. Facilities have been made in it for various bird species such as the White Wagtail and bat boxes are hanging. The toilet and basement are wintering places for butterflies and amphibians, respectively. It is partly open as a landscape viewing cabin.