Hindersteyn Castle - Langbroek
The exact time of origin is not known but estimated that Hindersteyn Castle was built around 1300. In 1300, Hinder van Wulven founded a house on this location. ‘Hinder’ is taken from the name Hendrik while ‘steyn’ hints at a stone building. Whether this explanation is correct, is not known. The most important acknowledgement as knights’ capital takes place in 1538. This provides Hindersteyn with various tax reliefs. Mechteld van Reede van Renswoude en Groenewoude acquired the estate in 1682. During the 18th and 19th century Hindersteyn changed owners and residents through inheritance and sale. When Arnold N.J. van Brienen bought the estate as an investment at an auction in 1894 it counts 194 hectars. The house was not inhabited and for some time it was even used as a hay storage. Around 1970 the house was sold with 5 hectares of ground to the current owners. The most substantial renovations took place in the 19th century. The place is only accessible to closed groups.