Henkenshage Castle - Sint-Oedenrode
As 'the most beautiful castle in Brabant', Henkenshage Castle in Sint-Oedenrode is more than worth a visit! The story of this castle goes back to the early 14th century. Parts of the wall are still of original state from the year 1450, but most of the construction came in 1850. At that time, the mansion was converted into a real castle.
Many noble families occupied the castle in the centuries that followed. During World War II, Henkenshage Castle was used as a distribution office and during the liberation, the Allies of the 101st Airborne Division occupied it as their headquarters.
A war memorial can also be found near the castle. This monument commemorates the landing of ten thousand paratroopers of the 101st US Airborne Division. They landed here in September 1944 under the command of General Maxwell Taylor, after which they took over the castle and used it as their headquarters.