Eyckenstein country estate - Maartensdijk
The country estate has a number of beautiful buildings, avenues of vision and agricultural land that gradually merges into forest. It originated when the peat bogs west of the Utrechtse Heuvelrug were reclaimed.
Shortly after 1600, a gentleman's farm stood on the spot where Adriaan Eyck built a renovated front and back house in 1780. From the beginning, prominent families have lived at Eyckenstein, such as a coin master and mayors. It is known that Maurits Eyck was the first to live there permanently. This was unusual in his time, since country houses are difficult to heat in winter.
From 1777 to 1876, three generations of Eyck lived there, transforming Eyckenstein into a stately country estate. In 1876, Eyckenstein is bought by Elisabeth Both Hendriksen, widow of Christiaan van Boetzelaer van Dubbeldam. Since then several generations of Van Boetzelaer live there. Around 1880, Willem Carel van Boetzelaer had the English landscape style park laid out by landscape architect Leonard Springer.
Eyckenstein most likely owes its name to the oaks, which are now more than 300 years old. The estate comprises 395 hectares, 185 hectares of which are situated directly behind the house. The estate has its own shop with products, which can be visited during the weekends. Besides the large manor house, you will also find the farms De Morgen, De Middag and De Avond on the estate.