Doornburgh Estate - Maarssen
The history of the Doornburgh estate begins in 1623. In the 17th century, wealthy Amsterdam families swapped the sweltering city for beautiful country estates along the River Vecht to relax and enjoy the fresh air and nature. Joan Huydecoper had Elsenburg and the Vechtleven and Somersbergen estates built in 1637. These were located on the site where now only the Doornburgh estate stands. In the disaster year of 1672, the Netherlands was attacked by the French and many country estates were demolished, but Doornburgh was preserved because Joan Huydecoper sent a large sum of money to Paris to prevent the destruction from happening. Willem Pietersen van Zon owned the estate in 1684 and placed the large baroque entrance gate along the Vecht, which can now be admired in the garden. After a period of changing ownership, Doornburgh returned to the Huydecoper family in 1772 and remained in their possession until 1912. In 1957 the estate was occupied by the Canonesses Regular of the Holy Sepulchre and the last sisters left the estate in 2017. The manor house, the park, the entrance gates and the ice cellar are all recognised as national monuments. Visit the De Zusters restaurant with its terrace and enjoy a delicious lunch.