De Kleine Schans - Terheijden
The history of De Kleine Schans in Terheijden goes back to the end of the 16th century. Around 1590, there was already a Spanish army camp of 200 men here. In 1639, the fort was built to protect the ships on the river Mark. The Spaniards and the Staatsen (a group of rebels against the Spanish ruler) fought here fiercely during the Eighty Years' War. After a period of neglect, the fort was restored in 1830 and used as a defence against the Belgians.
A great history for this 'Kleine Schans'. Nowadays, it is a place of interest, fine picnic spot and play area for children.
Source photo: www.zuidwaterlinie.nl
De Kleine Schans
4844 BR Terheijden
The Kleine Schans can be visited continuously