Castle ruins of Bronkhorst - Bronkhorst
Once a mighty castle lay here, now only the castle hill can be seen. Bronkhorst Castle was the ancestral home of the influential knights of Bronckhorst. They resided here from the twelfth century. Bronkhorst, which has had city rights since 1482, arose as a settlement on the outer ward of the castle. The Van Bronckhorst family, who held important positions in the Duchy of Gelre, died out in 1553, after which the castle came into the hands of the Van Limburg Stirum family. During the Eighty Years' War the castle was set on fire by the Spaniards but was made habitable again by the Van Limburg Stirum family. In the seventeenth century the castle changed hands a number of times, after which the decay struck in the eighteenth century. Castle Bronkhorst was largely demolished in 1828. The then owner, merchant Ketjenen, left a small part standing that he converted into a home. In 1902 this too was demolished and only the hill remained.
The chapel erected in the town of Bronkhorst by Gijsbrecht van Bronckhorst still stands. Just like the church in Hall, which has special paintings that were probably made to celebrate the marriage of Joost van Bronckhorst and Maria van Hoya in 1515.