Wildenborch Country Estate - Vorden
The first mention of De Wildenborch in 1371 mentions robber baron Sweder Rodebaert van Wisch as the owner. At that time, De Wildenborch was a glorious robber barracks, surrounded by marshland and therefore easy to defend. The lords of Wisch were all formidable. They regularly came into conflict with the Duke of Gelre.
In 1490 and between 1506-1508 the castle was besieged several times in vain. In 1512 the then occupant Johan van Wisch surrendered, but it was not until 1523 that the Duke of Gelre succeeded in seizing the looted castle and dismantling its defences. At the end of the 18th century, only the front gate remained standing. The Staring family, of whom the poet A.C.W. Staring is one of the most famous, is inextricably linked with De Wildenborch. They started rebuilding De Wildenborch in 1782. A residential wing was built against the gate tower and later the gate itself was rebuilt in neo-Romanesque style.
The estate consists of a castle with round tower and side wings, a building house with attached coach house and 38 hectares of garden, partly landscaped in English landscape style and partly parkland. There are large ponds around the house. The house is privately occupied and cannot be visited. A visit to the gardens is possible. Special is the sculpture garden.
Wildenborch Country Estate
7251 KG Vorden
E: email@example.com W: https://www.wildenborch.nl/
Not to be visited on Castle Day. The house and its immediate surroundings cannot be visited. Gardens can be visited by appointment.