St. Nicolas Mill - Denekamp
In 1859 a hotel owner and some farmers from Denekamp took the initiative to establish a third windmill. The reason is probably that in the area around Denekamp there was enough grain farming to run a third windmill. Just outside Denekamp on the road to Ootmarsum, this belt mill was built. Until 1902 the mill did not have a permanent miller but trained servants, who were employed by the owners, took care of the work on the mill.
In 1902, J.H. Derkman was the first permanent miller on the mill. He had received his education in Germany. To work as an independent miller, he first had to buy out the other owners or their heirs. It was not until 1908 that the last co-owner was bought out for 1,300 guilders. In October 1917, an agricultural cooperative was established in Denekamp. In 1922 it had a threshing mill, mill and grain warehouse in use. These facts meant the end of the mill as a source of income for the miller. The decay of the mill after that was due to this. Besides, on the west side of the mill a newly built dairy factory, the Volharding, literally took the wind out of the sails before the mill.
Fortunately, there were several people who cared about the fate of the mill. In 1952 the mayor came up with a proposal for restoration. In 1968, the architect Knippers bought the mill from the Derkman family to establish an office in the mill. Unfortunately, the application for a restoration grant was rejected because of the poor condition of the mill. With the purchase of the mill in 1974 from the Knippers family by the municipality of Denekamp, the future of the mill was secured. A significant restoration followed soon afterwards, which enabled the mill to be put back into use as a fully-fledged corn mill in 1976. In that year a grandson of J.H. Derkman, J.A.J. Derkman, was appointed as a voluntary miller.
The mill was transferred to the Molenstichting Lattrop-Tilligte. This foundation now takes care of maintenance, recruitment of volunteer millers and the sale of flour products. The mill is currently in use as a teaching and instruction mill.
St. Nicolas Mill
7591 EP Denekamp
|Saturday||10:00 - 13:00|
These opening hours are from 1 May to 31 October. From 1 November to 30 April they are opened from 10.00 - 12.00 by appointment.